What If I Have Breast Cancer?

Posted by Cancer Care on Saturday, October 27, 2012

By Sandy Giles

I have always been aware that breast cancer does exist.I would get a mammogram and a breast exam every year.

What should I do if I'm diagnosed with breast cancer? I will remain calm. When there are negative findings on the mammogram x-ray, a surgeon can be recommended by your family physician or the Radiologist. A family member or friend should accompany me to my doctors visit. The first visit is when the learning process begins. All of the options are presented to me by my physician. I have learned that I will have a needle biopsy and MRI to confirm a diagnosis of breast cancer.

On my second doctors visit the tests results were in her hands. Yes, the results show that this is breast cancer. The area visualized was very small. A one centimeter tumor was found as the "dark shadowed" area of the right breast. This shadow was now diagnosed as invasive lobular breast cancer.

In the spring of 2003 a Decision Tree prepared by the (American Cancer Society) was used by my physician as a guide line for treatment. It was determined that the right breast lump be removed. On the completion of surgery April 26th, 2003 I had a rest period. The adjuvant treatment of radiation treatments was prescribed. On June 8th I started radiation treatments and completed a total of 33 on the right breast. I did not require any chemo before or after the surgery. I did not have lymph involvement or spreading of cancer. The cat scan performed before surgery was negative for node involvement. After completing all of the radiation treatments I was sent to an Oncologist. I had a choice of chemo or a medication to be taken for five years. I chose the medication.I was given this choice, due to my type, size, location and cause of the cancerous tumor. The tumor was hormonally grown. I felt that the tablet was the least toxic to my body. The Oncologist would check my blood work for five years and it was good.

I enjoyed my visits to all of my Doctors. They were all intelligent and compassionate. My visit to the hospital was a good one. As an outpatient I felt like a "Queen" for a day. The day went well and the staff was kind and understanding!

I had courage, strength and faith throughout this process. Courage came from my own decision to be courageous. Strength came from the spoken words and actions of the physicians and medical staff. Faith came from my own inner divine strength and courage.